Saturday, December 6, 2008

When I say go, hit it.

Hello dear readers,

This is to be a journal of sorts, chronicling a journey or two that I'll be taking.
Today I embark upon a winter's journey to Chicago.
Last night my lady-friend Elena and a couple of friends of mine took me out to celebrate the last evening in town, which just so happened to be repeal day. I could not, in good conscience, not celebrate repeal day before leaving, as it would be difficult, not to mention reckless and illegal, to do so from behind the wheel of my vehicle.


Friends Cameron and Casey after buying me sushi. That's my idea of a fine sendoff.


Ladyfriend Elena and cat Bert waving me a farewell and giving a slightly evil eye at leaving them alone for several weeks. They will be missed. Adventure beckons, however, and today begins a journey which likely will tip the odometer at around 6000 miles.

I went by my ex-stepfather's place a couple days back to do an oil change, tire rotation, shoot the crap, etc. Not only do I now know exactly how to test a car battery and top it off, but I now have two sleeping bags, a space blanket, two ground pads, two flashlights, a candle-heater for the car that he put together out of a mug and a coffee can, a gallon of purified water, a tarp, and a sense that I was whoafully unprepared before heading down there and getting outfitted. Oh, and matches. He's an encyclopedia of information and his house is like an outfitter for a couple of dozen possible occupations.
Also purchased a small camera to document the trip with, and it seems to have survived a night of fairly heavy drinking. I have good hopes for the rest of the trip.

I'll post when and where I can. There's certainly plenty to see between here and Chicago, and it will be in evidence.

No comments: